Where am I and other stuff!

I can be found by appointment, business mobile is 416-902-7954, by email papantz@rogers.com, can send messages via Facebook as well.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

State of the Union is Jack


I'm not quite sure how or when I developed a knack for Jack.  All things Union Jack, boho, traditional - but many of my favourite projects have all been unionized.

My number one would be Mr. Truhlar's old Christie's steamer trunk!  I kept the trunk in it's original state for a while but it was dark and depressing.  If I'm going to live with a piece I have to make it work for me.  Then I'm quite happy to give it a home for whatever length of time.




So many people had inquired about this piece and I took it too an outdoor show with me last Spring.  It was bought by a couple who were getting married and returning to Liverpool, England.  The original owner of the steamtrunk came from Liverpool, England and immigrated to Canada after WWII.  Sometimes you realize that there is some sort of force at work with these pieces. 


I give credit to my husband on this one.  He was singing London Calling and said that I should put that on my vintage door.  I now have a pile of doors to do (sigh).


 

I really had fun with the vintage union jack table that folds up and can travel with and the little mid-century nightstand with drawer.  I wish I had remembered to take a picture of it in it's before state.  It was painted with country bows and flowers etc.

Before - vintage ice cream parlour stool - great find - heavy duty and strong

 
 oooh - The English Highway - adventure and danger
Keep Calm and Sit Down (crows, ravens, blackbirds)
 
I really wanted to try my hand at a Keep Calm and Carry - traditional coloured - Union Jack side table.  I found a great vintage table with good lines and shape.  First thing was to spray it a very smooth coat of flat Oxford Blue paint and then the fun (hard) part - the flag and text.  It was nerves of steel time as I chalk transferred my stencils slowly and retraced them on the table.  Steady hands or I would ruin it - especially the crown.  Phewwww - love the final result and right now it looks amazing in my office.
left:  tricky part photo
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment